Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, International Content Acquisition and Distribution, Starzplay
May 10th, 2021
Job Title: Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, International Content Acquisition and Distribution
Reports To: Todd Hoy, Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, STARZ
Starz (www.starz.com), a Lionsgate company (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B), is a leading global media and entertainment company that produces and distributes premium streaming content to worldwide audiences across subscription television platforms. Starz is home to the flagship domestic STARZ® brand, STARZ ENCORE, 17 premium pay TV channels and the associated on-demand and online services, including the highly rated STARZ app. With the launch of the STARZPLAY international premium streaming platform and STARZ PLAY Arabia, Starz is expanding its global footprint in a growing number of territories. Sold through multichannel video distributors, including cable operators, satellite television providers, telecommunications companies, and other online and digital platforms, Starz offers subscribers more than 7,500 distinct premium television episodes and feature films, including STARZ Original series, first-run movies and other popular programming. This newly created role within the International Business and Legal Affairs team at STARZPLAY will support the rapid global expansion of the STARZPLAY SVOD service, primarily throughout Europe. This role will be responsible for both inbound content licensing for the STARZPLAY SVOD service and outbound licensing of the STARZPLAY SVOD service across multiple distribution platforms outside of the U.S. The role will also require substantial first-chair experience drafting and negotiating SVOD licenses throughout Europe. Experience drafting and negotiating branded service distribution licenses is a plus. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, strategically-focused autonomous individual who embraces responsibility, thrives on a varied workload, and is resilient to the demands of the business and the International Business and Legal Affairs team.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the STARZPLAY business teams to draft and negotiate a large volume of complex SVOD content acquisition and related co-production agreements.
- Work closely with the STARZPLAY business teams to draft and negotiate a large volume of SVOD distribution agreements for the STARZPLAY SVOD service across multiple distribution platforms outside of the U.S., primarily throughout Western Europe but also including Latin America and other areas of expansion.
- Analyze, articulate and advise various executive teams on issues related to acquisition and distribution agreements.
- Draft, negotiate, maintain and manage intercompany licenses related to content.
- Coordinate closely with U.S.-based Senior Vice President Business & Legal Affairs.
- Coordinate with and support the Senior Executive Team and strategic corporate initiatives.
Key Skills Required:
- Either the required qualifications to practice as a solicitor in the UK or an attorney registered with the New York or California State bar.
- Ability to demonstrate significant experience as counsel of a major film/media company (in a law firm or in-house) for SVOD licenses throughout Europe, including co-productions.
- Superior drafting and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate complicated concepts clearly.
- Superior knowledge of content licensing concepts, including rights distinctions and holdbacks.
- Working knowledge of international content owners, licensors, and commissioning broadcasters.
- Working knowledge of various distribution architectures, including IP-delivery platforms.
- Working knowledge of copyright laws throughout Europe.
- Ability to work on an international time schedule and willingness to travel when necessary.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and work calmly under pressure against multiple competing deadlines.
- Highly motivated, strategically-focused, extremely detail-oriented, organized and able to work independently.
Our objective is to source candidates who demonstrate our global values:
Resourcefulness – We redefine what is possible.
Innovation – We challenge the status quo in order to foster bold thinking and outcomes.
Collaboration – We connect people and ideas to ensure all voices are heard.
Inclusiveness – We pursue and embrace diverse talent and perspectives.
Empowerment – We equip and entrust our people to cultivate growth and advance our mission.
Integrity – We respect all individuals and honour our commitments to one another.