Manager, Program Acquisitions
Feb 3rd, 2021
Job Title: Manager, Program Acquisitions
Reports To: Vice President, Program Acquisitions
Location: London, UK
Starz continues to grow its global footprint with its ongoing expansion of the STARZPLAY international premium streaming platform in a growing number of territories. The STARZPLAY premium streaming service gives subscribers the opportunity to watch STARZ premium content all in one place, with upcoming STARZ Originals airing exclusively on STARZPLAY day-and-date with the US. Available through its own direct to consumer STARZPLAY app, global digital broadcast services, multi-channel video distributors, telecommunications companies and other online and digital platforms, STARZPLAY offers subscribers access to STARZ Original series, premium movies and curated content focused on a global audience. STARZPLAY is currently available through its DTC app in Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK; in Europe, Latin America and Japan on Apple TV, in France, Germany, Mexico and the UK on Amazon Prime Video channels, in Brazil, Mexico and the UK through Roku streaming devices and on the following local platforms: in France on Orange, in Mexico on izzi and Totalplay; in Spain on Orange and Vodafone; in the UK on Virgin Media; as Lionsgate Play in India and as Starz in Canada in alliance with Bell Media.
As STARZ has expanded into new global markets we are recruiting for the role of Manager, Program Acquisitions to support the Vice President in their role and the Program Acquisitions team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working autonomously, managing multiple projects, with good negotiation skills and a keen interest in and aptitude for discovering desirable content from all over the world.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Utilize existing and building new relationships with local, regional and international distributors to source content from around the world.
- Researching new content opportunities and rigorously tracking shows for potential acquisition.
- Vetting incoming titles pitches at all stages (script, trailer to finished shows) for potential acquisition and providing viewing reports and recommendations.
- Support the evaluation of content as applicable/desirable to each specific territory.
- Communicate STARZPLAY program requirements and decisions to distributors in a timely and diplomatic manner.
- Participate in all aspects of negotiation (financial analysis and forecasting, formulating offers, creation of deal memos, negotiating key commercial terms.
- Have knowledge of the production landscape and identify appealing series early in the life cycle.
- Undertaking ad hoc projects as directed by the VP (i.e.: conducts research into scripted / movie content, license fee analysis and competitor landscape etc.)
- Represent acquisition team interests and oversee the processing of deals to relevant departments across the company (including programming, finance, business affairs, operations, marketing/PR, on a regular basis.
- Experience within a TV/Digital environment, ideally across multiple international territories
- Able to demonstrate experience in media content deals and/or business development and knowledge of the digital video landscape across several territories.
- Sound editorial judgement and understanding of the global SVOD market.
- An understanding of Program rights with experience in either a TV acquisitions or sales capacity.
- Familiar with global market trends and industry shifts
- Good negotiation skills with regard to content licensing and sound knowledge of content licensing agreements
- Possesses a keen editorial eye and be adept at forging and maintaining strong internal and external relationships at all levels
- Strong administrative skills, ideally in a busy deadline-driven environment
- Collaborative, influential approach to problem solving
- University degree or equivalent experience
- Fluency in one or more European languages an advantage
Our objective is to source candidates who demonstrate our global values:
Resourcefulness – We redefine what is possible.
Innovation – We challenge the status quo in order to foster bold thinking and outcomes.
Collaboration – We connect people and ideas to ensure all voices are heard.
Inclusiveness – We pursue and embrace diverse talent and perspectives.
Empowerment – We equip and entrust our people to cultivate growth and advance our mission.
Integrity – We respect all individuals and honour our commitments to one another.