Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, EMEA, Intl TV Sales
Jan 12th, 2021
Job Title: Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, EMEA, Intl TV Sales
Department: Business and Legal Affairs
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
Location: London, UK
A leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution, new channel platforms and international distribution and sales.
The role of SVP, Business and Legal Affairs, EMEA will report directly into the EVP, Business & Legal Affairs and will have primary responsibility for running the EMEA legal division, TV, Digital and Sales distribution from the London office. The ideal candidate will be a qualified lawyer with 6 + years PQE and has extensive legal experience (in a law firm or in-house) of International TV and Digital sales distribution. The role requires excellent drafting skills, a proven track record of sharp attention to detail and organizational skills. It also requires a self-motivated individual who embraces autonomy, thrives on a varied workload and has a willingness to develop further with a great ability to remain resilient in the face of challenges as well as being able to respond to the demands of a fast paced business.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Supervise, structure, negotiate and draft a high volume of television and digital license agreements in the UK and EMEA territories;
- Problem solving in relation to commercial/legal/regulatory issues arising from licensing deals specifically in the UK and EMEA territories;
- Negotiate and draft Format agreements in EMEA territories (and APAC territories on an ad hoc basis);
- Responsible for implementing and administering the relevant business policies and procedures for Lions Gate;
- Keep abreast of changing tax requirements in EMEA territories and advise on Lions Gate policy changes and ensure they are implemented;
- Responsible for strategic content licensing deals.
- Liaising with and advising International TV and Digital Sales, Rights, Finance and Sales Planning teams based in the UK and LA on legal and business-related matters;
- Responsible for three direct reports as well as assisting in training, mentoring, supervising and motivating junior members of the team.
- A media/entertainment lawyer with 6 + years PQE and considerable experience gained (in a law firm or in-house) in film and television – in particular digital and TV distribution.
- Understanding of contract, commercial and intellectual property law and of the structures and systems within which producers, financiers, rights-holders, distributors and broadcasters operate;
- Ability to demonstrate extensive experience, understanding and working knowledge of television/digital rights, windows, holdbacks and technologies;
- Excellent drafting skills with the ability to convey the meaning of complex legal provisions and agreements to non-legal teams;
- Highly organised and thorough with strong attention to detail as well as an ability to deliver consistent high-quality work;
- Autonomous and readily assumes and takes on responsibility, self-motivated with the ability to work independently and use own initiative, good at problem solving, thrives on challenges and has a desire to be innovative to help drive Lionsgate business forward;
- Good communication at all levels (verbal and written) as well as the ability to communicate in a succinct manner;
- Has good time management skills and the ability to manage a busy and varied workload on multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines; and
- Comprehensive line manager skills, strong team player with the ability to lead and build relationships with personnel at all levels and support other members of the team as needed.
We look for candidates who demonstrate the Lionsgate values:
Resourcefulness – We redefine what is possible.
Innovation – We challenge the status quo in order to foster bold thinking and outcomes.
Collaboration – We connect people and ideas to ensure all voices are heard.
Inclusiveness – We pursue and embrace diverse talent and perspectives.
Empowerment – We equip and entrust our people to cultivate growth and advance our mission.
Integrity – We respect all individuals and honor our commitments to one another.