Feb 23rd, 2021
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Department: Business and Legal Affairs
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
Location: London, UK
A leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production, acquisition and distribution, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution, new channel platforms and international distribution and sales.
The role of Legal Counsel will report directly into the SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, responding to the demands of the UK business and the Business and Legal Affairs team. The ideal candidate will be a qualified lawyer with 2+ years PQE and has extensive legal experience (in a law firm or in-house) in film and television. The role requires excellent drafting skills, a proven track record of sharp attention to detail and organisational skills. It also requires a self-motivated individual who has willingness to learn with a great ability to remain resilient in the face of challenges.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Drafting, negotiating, amending and finalising distribution agreements for Film and TV acquisitions, notices of assignment, Film and TV development agreements and television and digital license agreements;
- Reviewing, amending and approving music, footage and third-party licenses for Film and TV acquisitions, ensuring that the final versions are fully cleared;
- Drafting contract summaries from distribution agreements and notices of assignment to circulate within the business;
- Reviewing, amending and approving Chain of Title documents for new Film and TV acquisitions;
- Coordinating E&O insurance with external advisor and production counsel across Film and TV;
- Advising on music, residuals and guild obligations;
- Providing ad hoc assistance and guidance to publicity and marketing teams and other areas of the business;
- Ensuring all company policies and procedures are kept up to date as a result of changes in and to all applicable laws including bribery, anti-corruption, data protection etc.
- A media/entertainment lawyer with 2 + years PQE and considerable experience gained (in a law firm or in- house) in film and television – in particular, Film and Television acquisitions, development, finance, production, distribution and delivery;
- Detailed understanding of contracts, distribution agreements, notices of assignment, development agreements and television and digital licenses agreements;
- Ability to demonstrate experience in footage, music and third-party licenses for Film and TV acquisitions;
- Excellent drafting skills with the ability to convey the meaning of complex legal provisions and agreements to non-legal teams;
- Experience in company policies and procedures and applicable laws, such as anti-bribery, anti corruption and data protection;
- Hard working, highly organised and thorough with strong attention to detail as well as an ability to deliver consistent high-quality work;
- Autonomous and readily assumes and takes on responsibility, self-motivated with the ability to work independently and use own initiative, good at problem solving, thrives on challenges and has a desire to be innovative to help drive Lionsgate business forward;
- Good communication at all levels (verbal and written) as well as the ability to communicate in a succinct manner;
- Quick learner who is willing to adapt/be flexible as necessary;
- Good time management skills and the ability to manage a busy and varied workload on multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines.
Our objective is to source candidates who demonstrate our global values:
Resourcefulness – We redefine what is possible.
Innovation – We challenge the status quo in order to foster bold thinking and outcomes.
Collaboration – We connect people and ideas to ensure all voices are heard.
Inclusiveness – We pursue and embrace diverse talent and perspectives.
Empowerment – We equip and entrust our people to cultivate growth and advance our mission.
Integrity – We respect all individuals and honour our commitments to one another.