Financial Controller – Maternity Cover
Nov 8th, 2017
Reports To: Financial Director
Location: London, UK
Lionsgate is a leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in film, television, home entertainment and digital distribution. We are recruiting an experienced Financial Controller for maternity cover. This role will be responsible for maintaining accounting records, financial reporting, data processing and analysis and supervising the finance team members. In addition, the overseeing the financial audit process including the preparation of the group statutory accounts and providing information to auditors. The desired person should be a self-starter a proven track record and with previous Financial Controller experience.
- Manage the quarterly reporting process to the US to required deadlines.
- Lead the monthly management account process for internal reporting
- Manage the drafting of the year end individual and consolidated statutory accounts for audit.
- Manage the year end external audit process with the assistance of the Financial Accountant and ensure all information is available and provided on time to the auditors.
- Keep up to date with new technical releases affecting the company such as developments in IFRS and US GAAP accounting rules and corporation tax legislation. Lead any changes required to working practices due to changes in rules.
- Ensure revenue is correct under USGAAP and IFRS in relation to the changes in revenue recognition standard and that all required disclosures are made under both sets of standards.
- Ensure the new practices due to the change in the revenue recognition standard are performed correctly, monitored to ensure accuracy and if improvements are required to practices then to lead these changes.
- Maintain control of the royalty reporting ensuring statements are prepared, reviewed and distributed to required timescales.
- Ensure all accounting records are kept and maintained to comply with internal and external controls and legislation.
- Suggest and implement improvements to working practices and controls.
- Ensure all reporting submissions made to different regulatory bodies are timely and accurate
- Liaise with other departments and external advisors as appropriate to ensure that all relevant areas (legal, regulation requirements, corporation tax, VAT etc) have been considered in the financial reporting process.
- Responsible for making sure the company complies to Sarbanes-Oxley act regulations regarding internal controls and have full documentation.
- Ensure all new regulatory requirements are adhered to
- Manage Internal audit process and Royalty audits.
- Ensure the quarterly VAT return is reviewed and submitted on time
- Day to day management of Management Accountants, Financial Accountant, Royalty Accountant, Junior Accountants and AP clerk/credit control
- Team development and training
- Performance management for team
- Ensure the accuracy of purchase and sales ledgers is maintained by regular review processes
- Lead the preparation of financial analysis for other areas of the business as required.
- Exercise tight balance sheet control across all companies by regular reconciliation of all balance sheet GL accounts.
- Report to Group FD on risks and areas of concern which have come to light from the balance sheet review.
- Support the Financial Director in adding value and challenging the status quo in other areas of the business to optimize business performance and profitability.
- Work with FD & FP&A in determining how to account for new deals and acquisitions, leading this process at times
- Provide advice to legal and commercial teams on financial matters including helping advise on deal structures
- Check and approve payment runs
- Other ad hoc duties as required
Key Skills Required:
- Excel proficient
- Able to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience dealing with regulatory bodies
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley act regulations
- Qualified accountant (ACA or ACCA or equivalent) with minimum 5 years plus PQE
- Experience in a Financial Controller role or equivalent
- Experience manging the audit process
- Experience managing month end/ quarter end process
- Experience preparing statutory accounts
- Strong team management experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to manage own time
- Media experience preferable although would also suit someone from FMCG background
We look for candidates who demonstrate the Lionsgate values:
- Collaborative – a great team player who works well alongside all stakeholders
- Passionate – an ability to enrol, involve and motivate others with your ideas and plans
- Innovative – a creative flair, with the ability to think differently and offer new solutions and ideas
- Inspiring – demonstrate drive, tenacity and commitment to the job in hand
- Integrity – remaining true to the company’s values and always acting with positive intent