Business and Legal Affairs Manager
Jun 28th, 2019
Job Title: Business and Legal Affairs Manager
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs
Location: London, UK
A leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production, acquisition and distribution, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution, new channel platforms and international distribution and sales.
The role of Business and Legal Affairs Manager will report directly into the SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, responding to the demands of the business and the Business and Legal Affairs team. The ideal candidate will be a qualified lawyer (2-3 years PQE), paralegal, legal executive, or an individual with extensive legal experience in film and television. The role requires excellent drafting skills, a proven track record of sharp attention to detail and organisational skills. It also requires a self-motivated individual who has willingness to learn with a great ability to remain resilient in the face of challenges as well as being able to respond to the demands of the business and the Business and Legal Affairs team.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Reviewing, amendingand approving Chain of Title for new film and television acquisitions.
- Reviewing, amending and approvingmusic, footage and third-party licencesand ensuring that the final versions of the film/television series are fully cleared.
- Drafting, negotiating,amending and finalising distribution agreements, notices of assignment, development agreements (e.g.: option, writers, directors’agreements etc), and television and digital licences agreements, as needed.
- Drafting contract summaries for new film and television acquisitions.
- Addressingmarketing, home entertainment and publicityqueries in regard to competition T&Cs, credits, artwork, music, DVD bonus materials etc.
- Updating acquisition, development,delivery scheduleand other precedents, as required.
- Advising on music, residuals and guild obligations.
- Ensuring all company policies and procedures are kept up to date as a result of changes in and to all applicable laws including bribery, anti-corruption, data protection etc.
- Assisting other members of the Business & Legal Affairs team, as required.
- A lawyer with 2-3 years PQE, paralegal, legal executive or equivalent with considerable experience gained in film and television;
- A general understanding of all aspects of film and television acquisition, development, production, distribution and delivery; detailed knowledge of Contract Law and understanding of IP (Copyright) and Competition Law useful;
- A firm grasp on music licencing for film and television productions;
- An ability to convey the meaning of complex legal provisions and agreements to non-legal teams;
- Excellent drafting skills, hardworking, highly organised and thorough with strong attention to detail as well as ability to deliver consistent high-quality work;
- Good communication at all levels (verbal and written) as well as the ability to communicate in a succinct manner;
- Good time management skills and the ability to manage a busy workload on multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines;
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and use own initiative, good at problem solving, thrives on challenges and has a desire to be innovative to help drive Lionsgate business forward; and
- Strong team player with the ability to build relationships with personnel at all levels and support other members of the team as needed.
We look for candidates who demonstrate the Lionsgate values:
- Collaborative– a great team player who works well alongside all stakeholders
- Passionate– an ability to enrol, involve and motivate others with your ideas and plans
- Innovative– a creative flair, with the ability to think differently and offer new solutions and ideas
- Inspiring– demonstrate drive, tenacity and commitment to the job in hand
- Integrity– remaining true to the company’s values and always acting with positive intent